Position number: 20035955
About the role:
This is an exciting opportunity to progress your career and obtain valuable experience working as a Senior Police Lawyer within Victoria Police. Victoria Police’s Legal Services Department (LSD) is enhancing its advocacy response in an effort to meet the expansion of court networks and jurisdictions across Victoria. In order to address repeat victimisation, recidivism and unique offending across diverse demographics, more specialist courts are opening.
As the successful applicant, you will need to demonstrate an ability to manage busy court lists and competing priorities effectively whilst coaching, mentoring and developing junior Lawyers.
The role offers an opportunity to tailor your skills to an array of matters that vary in complexity. You will be expected to perform caseload management and offer legal advice and information to a range of clients. You will also be required to develop and maintain collaborative relationships within the expansive Victoria Police workforce as well as working with external stakeholders across agencies as part of a broad network to ensure cooperative and proactive approaches to addressing community harm. Whilst the role will be challenging and dynamic, it will present you with a rewarding experience and possibilities for future career progression.
Victoria Police is a contemporary and agile workplace and support flexible working arrangements.
Your duties will include:
- Day to day management and support of staff within the Police Lawyers Group in your designated work location supporting the Drug Court and Family Violence teams.
- Rostering and coordination of Police Lawyers and Legal Support Staff assisting and appearing in the Magistrates Court and Criminal related prosecutions’ lists for Drug Court and Family Violence.
- Providing support and assistance to Supervising Lawyers in the management of more complex cases dealt with at the County Court and in other jurisdictions as directed.
- Daily responsibilities will include, managing strategies for appropriate representation in Drug Court, family violence and criminal related prosecutions and county court appeal cases.
- Maintain statistics and records for all police applications along with completing monthly reports for you designated work area.
As the successful applicant, you will have:
- Admission to practice as an Australian Lawyer (Unrestricted Practising Certificate).
- Ability to work in a team, in a developing and emerging work environment.
- High level understanding and experience as a court advocate
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and developing junior lawyers
- A current and valid Drivers’ Licence is highly desirable.
Requirements and relevant information:
- This position is based at Melbourne Prosecutions Unit, 456 Lonsdale St Melbourne.
- Applicants must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid work permit or visa.
- The successful candidate will be required to undergo pre-employment checks which may include fingerprint checks and misconduct screening.
- As a member of the Legal Services Department you will be located, on selection, at a specific office within a Division for a particular advertised opportunity. However given occasional legal service demand issues you may be required at times to undertake varied work within the Department. This supports the Departments commitment to a flexible and deployable legal workforce and professional development opportunities in a range of legal domains.
Your application must include:
- Completed application form – attached to the job advertisement.
- A copy of your current Australian Lawyer Unrestricted Practicing Certificate
Applications close midnight, Thursday 19 November 2020.
Please Note: All applications will need to be submitted through one of the following platforms; the Victorian Government careers website (Careers.vic), Job Skills Exchange (JSE) website or Seek.
Applications will not be accepted via other platforms or email.
For further information on this role please contact: Rebecca Johnston-Ryan on (03) 8628 3200 or via email [email protected]
If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact VPS Recruitment via email [email protected] or on (03) 8335 8081.
Victoria Police is a large organisation employing police, public servants and protective services officers. Victoria Police provides support to the community 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
At Victoria Police our goal is for our workforce to reflect the diverse community we serve. We continually seek to attract and retain a diverse workforce which includes people of all genders, ages, religions, disability, sexual orientation, family and caring responsibilities and cultures including people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage.
Find out what it is like working as a Victorian Public Servant for Victoria Police: https://www.police.vic.gov.au/vps