Position Number: 20040842
0.7FTE, Fixed Term Until 30/9/2022
In this role you will be responsible for the case management of Victoria Police and Police members’ response to litigation arising from operational policing functions and inquest proceedings in which the conduct of Victoria Police is under scrutiny.
Civil Litigation is a small unit within the Legal Services Department and you will be an integral member of the team.
Your duties will include:
In addition to associated administrative tasks, your duties will include:
- Acting as the case manager/client on behalf of Victoria Police in litigation and Coronial Inquests, and other forms of legal process, where Victoria Police identifies a risk or interest. This will include attending Court hearings and participating in mediation and other related conferences as the client representing Victoria Police and providing instructions to engaged law firms and Counsel.
- Providing briefings and advice to senior management to inform decision making regarding litigation, inquests and other legal processes in which Victoria Police has an interest.
- Acting as a liaison point between legal representatives and Victoria Police members involved in litigation, inquests and other legal processes and providing advice, instruction and reassurance in relation to those proceedings.
- Acting as the client, on behalf of Victoria Police and the Chief Commissioner of Police, and liaising with and instructing law firms engaged on behalf of Victoria Police in litigation, inquests and other legal processes.
- Providing a legal advisory and legal research service to Victoria Police Departments in relation to the legal Services managed by the Civil Litigation Division.
- Assisting with project management work including the development, improvement and ongoing management of policies and procedures for the unit and the unit’s engagement with external stakeholders.
As the successful applicant, you will have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to facilitate liaison between managers, individual police members and legal practitioners.
- Knowledge of the Victoria Police operating environment and organisational structure to enable you to identify and coordinate the collection of material required to defend matters or mitigate risks in civil and coronial proceedings.
- Sound understanding and application of the professionalism, ethics and integrity required to manage high risk matters having regard to the State of Victoria’s obligations as a model litigant and the integrity and reputation of Victoria Police.
- Admission to practice as an Australian Lawyer and possess or immediately eligible to apply for a current Practicing Certificate. This can be a restricted Practicing Certificate.
Requirements and relevant information:
- This is a 0.7FTE opportunity.
- Fixed term until 30 September 2022.
- Applicants must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid work permit or visa.
- While the initial work location for this position is in the Civil Law Division, given occasional legal service demand issues you may be required to undertake varied work within other locations of the Legal Services Department. This supports the Department’s commitment to a flexible and deployable legal workforce and professional development opportunities in a range of legal domains.
- The Position will be located at the Victoria Police Centre (VPC), 311 Spencer Street, Docklands.
Your application must include:
- Completed application form – attached to the job advertisement
- A copy of your current Practicing Certificate
Applications close midnight, Thursday 12 November 2020 – No applications will be accepted via email.
For further information on this role please Supervising Police Lawyer Enza Canturi on (03) 8335 7228 or via email [email protected]
If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact VPS Recruitment via email [email protected] or (03) 8335 8081.
Victoria Police is a large organisation employing police, public servants and protective services officers. Victoria Police provides support to the community 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
At Victoria Police our goal is for our workforce to reflect the diverse community we serve. We continually seek to attract and retain a diverse workforce which includes people of all genders, ages, religions, disability, sexual orientation, family and caring responsibilities and cultures including people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage.
Find out what it is like working as a Victorian Public Servant for Victoria Police: http://www.policecareer.vic.gov.au